Oracle Apps DBAs (EBS DBA) usually manage the Oracle EBS environments using Oracle Applications Manager (OAM), AD Utilities like ADOP, ADPATCH and Autoconfig etc. If the customer is already using Oracle EM Cloud Control, then you also have an option to use Application Management Pack (AMP) for EBS to manage your Oracle EBS environments. AMP for EBS is a Oracle EM Cloud Control Plugin. There are several advantages of using AMP. Some of them are:
- Provisioning and discovery of single and multi-node instances
- Provisioning of new Oracle E-Business Suite instances from backup
- Lift and shift of environments from on-premises to Oracle cloud
- Cloning Oracle E-Business Suite environments on Oracle Cloud
- Automated backup and restore on Oracle Cloud
- Scale out capabilities (adding apps tier nodes) on Oracle Cloud
- Creating custom patches
- Deploying Oracle and custom patches. Get recommended EBS Patches and create Patch Plans to apply
- Customization Manager and Discovery
Below are some of the good sources of documentation for Application Management Suite for EBS
- https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/app-mgmt/ds-ams4ebs-em13c-3093327.pdf – White Paper/Data Sheet
- Getting Started with Oracle Application Management Pack (AMP) for Oracle E-Business Suite, Release 220.127.116.11.0 (Doc ID 2045552.1) – MOS Document
- https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26401_01/doc.122/e65203/toc.htm – Oracle Documentation
- https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26401_01/doc.122/e80932/toc.htm – Metric reference manual
Patch Recommendation & Application:
With AMP for EBS, you can get the recommended patches list for your environment. It provides you all patches recommended for Oracle EBS, FMW Homes like Common, WebLogic, iAS and Database as well. If you provide the MOS credentials, it can download all the patches for you as well. Once you identify the patches to apply, you can create patch deployment plans to apply these patches using AMP itself. Look the screenshots to see it yourself 😉
Monitoring Users, JVM and Sessions:
You can monitor the top sessions, JVM performance, user activity with AMP. Usually some of these you can get using OAM but the depth of the details in AMP is much higher and pretty useful. There is a default monitoring template for EBS and this can be customized further based on your needs. For e.g. you can customize the metrics of concurrent processing.
Monitoring Concurrent Processing:
Concurrent Processing in small environments is easy to manage but in a truly enterprise ERP environment, it can be very difficult to manage. AMP provides great details for CP monitoring:
Cloning using “Smart Clone” :
Yes. You can also perform cloning of Oracle EBS using Smart Clone. As a DBA, I know that cloning can be done easily but what if you want to just create a job to clone EBS from RAC to RAC and Multi-Node to Multi-Node? You can do this with few clicks. Create a template and repeat again. You can also configure the managed servers on Target Nodes as needed. In previous versions of Smart Clone, you cannot clone DB but not you can clone DB as well:
Change Management and Customization Manager:
How do you apply custom patches in EBS environment? What is the Release or Change Management process you use? I am sure you use an external change or approval management process using CAB approvals etc. With EBS AMP, you can build custom patches (Called Packages), apply them with a defined Approval/Change Management process. Organizing the Custom Patches is very important for EBS environments not only for Audit purposes but also for overall better management of EBS.
Managing EBS on OCI:
You can deploy Hybrid Cloud agents and manage the Oracle EBS instance on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure as well. Imagine an environment with EBS instances on Premise and on Cloud! You can manage all environments using a single interface of AMP.
To conclude, there are several features of Application Management Suite for EBS which we didn’t discuss yet but it is a great tool to your EBS environments. I won’t recommend AMP for small environments where there are 1 or 2 EBS Production Instances. Also remember that EBS Application Management Suite is additional license.